It’s been one year since tornadoes ripped through middle Tennessee killing 25 people and destroying hundreds of buildings, including three apartment buildings at LHP’s Margaret Robertson Apartments in Hermitage.
Fortunately, no one was seriously hurt or killed by the tornado that hit Margaret Robertson, but 12 families were devastated by the complete loss of their homes and most of their possessions. Within just a few hours of the disaster, LHP’s property management and maintenance staff were onsite to mobilize an emergency response team to support the safety and the recovery of residents, safeguard the property and maintain key business operations.
Tomorrow, Nashville’s public radio station WPLN will broadcast a news story about the excellent service and care LHP Management provided to residents displaced by the tornado. The story is part of a series marking the one-year anniversary of the 2020 tornadoes. Here’s a sneak peak of the news story:
LHP Vice President of Maintenance Andy Brinkman talked with WPLN’s Damon Mitchell for the news story to describe the rebuilding process. Local businesses, nonprofit organizations, churches and elected officials provided support and resources to the Margaret Robertson community, and LHP’s commitment was 110%. Andy said it was a team effort and every employee and every department at LHP pitched in at one point or another:
- We located temporary housing for the 12 displaced families. This process was hindered because there was no phone or cell service. Staff from LHP corporate and nearby properties not affected by the tornado contacted area hotels and then drove to MR to deliver hotel reservation information.
- We provided and paid for emergency housing at area hotels for the families and gift cards for meals and personal care products during the first couple of weeks following the disaster.
- We had storage containers moved to the property and helped the residents collect and safely store their personal property.
- We took up a collection to purchase essential household items the families needed to begin the difficult process of re-establishing a normal life.
- We were able to relocate ten families to apartment homes at other LHP Nashville area properties.
- We rebuilt the three buildings and turned around 12 apartment homes in record time.
In December 2020, just in time for the Christmas holidays, the families were able to return home to their newly built apartments at Margaret Robertson.